You didn't think I could leave it at that did you? Saturday was a very exciting day. Brantley was very nervous and worried about not hitting the ball. I tried to tell him just to go out and have fun because no
matter what happened, I was proud of him. He puts so much pressure on himself. Don't know where he got that. The running and throwing competitions were uneventful. For the hitting competition, the other team got to his first. They got 5 pitches and the ball was marked where it landed. Before our team got up to hit, Brantley's coach asked me to get 5 balls out of his bag. He wanted the ones that were softer, they feel kinda spongy. Brantley was up first. He hit it long and had the long ball. There were a couple on our team that I thought had a chance of getting one farther than Brantley, but none did. Then, they called Brantley back up. I didn't notice that they made the coach use 5 other balls and Brantley was the only one that hit with the spongy ones. Brian wanted to use those because he thought the kids could hit them farther, but he was supposed to use the harder one. Since Brantley had the long ball, he had to hit again. I was so nervous for him. But, before that, I had told him he had the long ball and I think he relaxed a bit. He got up and was just as comfortable as could be, and he hit it even further! At that point, he had won the competition on his field, but he still had to compete against the winners from the other three fields. I couldn't believe how many people were there watching. All of Brantley's team mates, even the ones who were not on his Cubs team, were excited for him. I was so excited and nervous for him and also proud of him for getting up in front of all those people. But, you should have seen him. By now he was thinking no one could beat him and was very confident. You could see it in the way he held the bat. He was so determined. This time they got 5 swings instead of 5 pitches. I think this is much better because some times the pitches are not good and they don't have a chance. Jett was up first. I have to preface this part by saying that Lawson got on to me about my last post because of how I talked about Jett. I really wasn't trying to be mean, I was only trying to convince myself that Brantley had a chance against this kid. Jett had a couple decent hits (and he hit Kurt who was pitching to him). His long ball was in the outfield just short of the fence. Brantley got up and was
so confident. He fouled a couple and had a couple of strikes, but he didn't let it get to him. Then, on his fifth swing, he hit it. It landed in the outfield, just short of the fence. I had kept quiet up to this point, but after that I screamed! I didn't care if he had won or not because it was an awesome hit. Then, I saw Kurt remove Jett's marker. Brantley's ball went further. There was some confusion at the end I think because Brantley's jersey says Brant and Kurt (since Brantley went by Brantley went Kurt coached him) was referring to him as Brantley and they thought it was the other kid Frankie that had won. But, the confusion was put to rest and Brantley won. He was so proud of himself. Out of 90+ kids, he hit the long ball. I had to be a little cocky about it and I told Lawson, "I bet Kurt wishes he had picked Brantley for the tryout team now." I took a few pictures. I didn't take many because I didn't want to make Brantley nervous. I have one before the big hit, on getting ready to accept his trophy, him accepting his trophy, Brantley in the dugout after the ceremony, and last is a picture of Brantley with his new buddy James.
matter what happened, I was proud of him. He puts so much pressure on himself. Don't know where he got that. The running and throwing competitions were uneventful. For the hitting competition, the other team got to his first. They got 5 pitches and the ball was marked where it landed. Before our team got up to hit, Brantley's coach asked me to get 5 balls out of his bag. He wanted the ones that were softer, they feel kinda spongy. Brantley was up first. He hit it long and had the long ball. There were a couple on our team that I thought had a chance of getting one farther than Brantley, but none did. Then, they called Brantley back up. I didn't notice that they made the coach use 5 other balls and Brantley was the only one that hit with the spongy ones. Brian wanted to use those because he thought the kids could hit them farther, but he was supposed to use the harder one. Since Brantley had the long ball, he had to hit again. I was so nervous for him. But, before that, I had told him he had the long ball and I think he relaxed a bit. He got up and was just as comfortable as could be, and he hit it even further! At that point, he had won the competition on his field, but he still had to compete against the winners from the other three fields. I couldn't believe how many people were there watching. All of Brantley's team mates, even the ones who were not on his Cubs team, were excited for him. I was so excited and nervous for him and also proud of him for getting up in front of all those people. But, you should have seen him. By now he was thinking no one could beat him and was very confident. You could see it in the way he held the bat. He was so determined. This time they got 5 swings instead of 5 pitches. I think this is much better because some times the pitches are not good and they don't have a chance. Jett was up first. I have to preface this part by saying that Lawson got on to me about my last post because of how I talked about Jett. I really wasn't trying to be mean, I was only trying to convince myself that Brantley had a chance against this kid. Jett had a couple decent hits (and he hit Kurt who was pitching to him). His long ball was in the outfield just short of the fence. Brantley got up and was
so confident. He fouled a couple and had a couple of strikes, but he didn't let it get to him. Then, on his fifth swing, he hit it. It landed in the outfield, just short of the fence. I had kept quiet up to this point, but after that I screamed! I didn't care if he had won or not because it was an awesome hit. Then, I saw Kurt remove Jett's marker. Brantley's ball went further. There was some confusion at the end I think because Brantley's jersey says Brant and Kurt (since Brantley went by Brantley went Kurt coached him) was referring to him as Brantley and they thought it was the other kid Frankie that had won. But, the confusion was put to rest and Brantley won. He was so proud of himself. Out of 90+ kids, he hit the long ball. I had to be a little cocky about it and I told Lawson, "I bet Kurt wishes he had picked Brantley for the tryout team now." I took a few pictures. I didn't take many because I didn't want to make Brantley nervous. I have one before the big hit, on getting ready to accept his trophy, him accepting his trophy, Brantley in the dugout after the ceremony, and last is a picture of Brantley with his new buddy James.




1 comment:
Way to go Brant!!
PS: and what do expect from a kid named Jett. Please.
Post a Comment