Baseball Swing

Baseball Swing

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ranting and Raving

Alright, if you don't want to hear me ranting and raving like a lunatic, stop reading now. If you enjoy listening to a good rant every now and then, read on!

Baseball is almost over. Only two more games after tonight's debacle. Tonight we played Jett's team. Jett is the kid at the tryouts who hit it out of the field 4 times. Brantley is very impressed by this kid. I was interested in seeing the kid play. So, when he was at bat, I paid attention. And I counted. Seven, yes seven!, foul balls. Three no contact. Any other kid would have been on the T. I'm all for playing the game and having the kids follow the rules. I think we have done them an injustice by not following the rules and teaching the outs and what not. But, I have a problem with coaches that want to play the rules but make exceptions for their "Star" player. Of course, the eleventh pitch was hit and went out of the field. I say, put him on the T. Make him learn to hit the ball, not just to try to hit it out. You can't get on base if all you hit is fouls. Of course, Lawson said it would have been dangerous to put him on the T, and he's right. Brantley had some good bats. Two grounders out to the fence and one dud that landed in front of the coach. But, I must say Brantley's attitude was better. He didn't let it bother him and he still ran hard to the base.

It was a rough game. A couple of kids got hurt in the outfield. The second inning catcher got nailed by a ball to his bicep. After that happened, I shouldn't have sent a catcher out for the third inning. But, Brantley was up to be catcher and he wanted to do it. I warned him that he needed to move back when Jett got up to hit. He did, but it wasn't enough. Jett fouled it right into Brantley's chest. Not sure how it really happened, but coach said the other coach pitched it and Jett tipped it but it went back. Even though he had the gear on, it knocked the wind out of Brantley and I pulled him out. There was only one batter left I think.

In the beginning I called the game a debacle, but it really wasn't. Our kids were getting out after out. I don't think the other team ever had the bases loaded. I know Brantley got a couple outs. James caught a pop fly that was pretty awesome. There was some other great teamwork going on that got some great outs. They all played really hard and they loved it!

1 comment:

Rosemarie said...

This baseball is like a soap opera! I just read a book where a family up and left, and took their kid, during a ball game because she wasn't being played "enough."