Baseball Swing

Baseball Swing

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Brantley will never be a pilot.

I took Brantley today for his first eye exam with an optometrist. His pediatrician always has him read an eye chart at his annual exam, but there are other tests that an optometrist performs that are important. I chose this eye doctor after I saw him earlier this year. I had been putting off my annual exam because I was dreading having my eyes dilated. A friend from work went to this eye doctor and she said they take a picture of your retina with a special camera and they don't have to dilate your eyes. Insurance doesn't cover it, but I think it should. They keep the pictures on file and can compare them from year to year. They are able to pull it up on the computer and they show you your optic nerve and all the parts inside. It's very cool. The doctor is really nice also and I thought Brantley would like him.

Brantley was a little apprehensive at first. All that big equipment can make you a bit nervous. They took pictures of the inside of his eyes. He didn't have to have his eyes dilated or have the puff of air. When we went into the exam room he read the chart with no real problem. Then, she got out the color test book. He got one right. That's all. ONE! He is completely color blind. I was rather surprised since he's never had any trouble identifying any colors. Apparently he has learned what they look like to him, but he doesn't see the same colors that we see. I'm fascinated by this and wonder what the world looks like through his eyes. On the circles below, he can only read the 25. He can't see any of the other numbers.
I found this image that shows what colors look like to those who are color blind. I wonder which one is him?
Other than the color blindness, his vision is perfectly fine. He is right eye dominant (just like me). The eye doctor even checked his baseball stance and said what he does is perfect. He said to not ever let anyone tell him to bring his lead foot in. The way he does it, he's looking at the ball with his dominant eye. He even brought in a basketball and had Brantley dribble for him. It was really interesting hear the medical science behind his sport techniques. Brantley thought he was really cool and had a great time. So, he'll never be a pilot but maybe he will be a star baseball player!

No comments: