Baseball Swing

Baseball Swing

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Baseball

It's that time of year again. We finally had our first game tonight. As usual, the real first game and opening ceremony were cancelled due to the weather. I haven't heard anything about them rescheduling opening day, which I am glad about. With the number of kids they have this year, I can't imagine what a zoo it would have been. I was running the dugout, but I did try to take some pictures while Brant was in the outfield. He played first base during the first inning. I think I made him nervous taking pictures, so I quit. He had some decent hits, but definitely out of practice. He also got 2 outs and caught a ball. I'm not sure if the ball he caught was hit or thrown to him, I just saw the catch. He did look disappointed that he didn't get a game ball and I forgot to talk to him about that after the game. Last year he understood, but I think he has forgotten.

The coach doesn't seem to be taking charge very much, so I have stepped up and tried to be the team mom. Up until tonight, there hasn't been a lot of parent involvement. Tonight, the assistant coach didn't show up, but a couple of dads were helping out. I guess I'll be running the dugout this season. At least it seems like we have a good group of kids. One kid gets very sidetracked, but at least he doesn't have an attitude problem like the problem kid in the fall. Another kid didn't show up for any of the practices and showed up tonight for the first time.

On another note, Brantley's coach recommended him for a tryout 5/6 team. He only recommended one other kid from the team. When I heard that the coach was Brantley's first coach, I didn't have a good feeling about it. But, I emailed him anyway to get the information. He's going to pick 12 kids for the team. They have four 3-day tournaments in June and July. He only wants kids that can be there for all practices and all games. Since we have a vacation planned in June, Brantley would miss the first 2 tournaments. I'm not sure how I feel about him trying out for a team at this age anyway. I've always said I just want him to have fun and enjoy the game and that just makes it too serious. I guess we have to start thinking about things like this. Baseball is going to start to interfere more and more with other plans. The good thing about this league is they all get on a team, but they do have separate tryout teams starting at 9/10. I'm not sure if they do a 7/8 tryout team or not.

No comments: