I'm starting to sound like a broken record. As of Sunday, the Mariners were tied for first place. In my mind they are actually in first place because they beat the team they are tied with.
Tonight's game was against the Pirates. It got a little ugly tonight, although Brantley did have some solid hits. The other team only had 9 players there. There is a rule that you have to have 10 players or you are penalized. The rule is in place so that coaches don't 'coerce' the worst players on the team to not show up. Pretty sad if you ask me that we have to have rules like this in place to keep people in line. So, if you only have 9 players, the 10th missing batter is an out. An out is recorded each time it's the 10th batter. If they only had 8, the 9th and 10th would be recorded as outs and if there are only 7 players the game is forfeited.
Since I've been recording the games I had printed out the rules. Was it bad of me to point out the rule? I pointed out to the ump that they only had 9 and he said to let him know when it was time for the 10th batter. I believe he did know the rule, but the umps are kids themselves and I don't think they like challenging the coaches. The coach for the other team acted like he didn't know the rule. Since I had the rules printed out, we flipped through them and found it to give to our coach. It was too late to record the out in the second inning (the second inning should have started with an out), but their coach agreed once he was shown the printed rules.
Did it make a difference in the game? I don't think so, but you never know. I'm guessing that the kids that were not there were actually their better players. At any rate, the game ended early and the Mariners won 15 to 8. Go Mariners!!
No comments:
Post a Comment