Baseball Swing
Sunday, February 24, 2008
David Copperfield
I remember watching TV specials of David Copperfield when I was growing up. I kept watching until he started doing the things that were obviously not real, like making the statue of liberty disappear. I never liked it when he did those things. I was happy just watching the normal magic he did on stage. So, when I heard David Copperfield was coming to town, I decided to take Brantley and his cousins to see him. Brantley had no idea who Copperfield was. I thought my niece and nephew might know, but they didn't either. My niece was skeptical about it. Before the show they had a large movie screen on the stage displaying descriptions and accomplishments of David Copperfield like the fact that he is the only living magician on a postage stamp, or that he was named Magician of the Millennium. She said, 'Is this just going to be a movie or is it going to be in person?' Boy was she in for a surprise. The show opened with a large box on the stage. The stage hands came out and showed the box was empty, spun it around like they do and then revealed David Copperfield sitting on a motorcycle inside. His first big act was coming through steel. He lay down on a table and a piece of steel was placed on top of the box. Then they draped a shiny silver sheet over the entire table and David Copperfield came through the steel. Brantley was unimpressed. (Today I found out he figured out basically how Copperfield did that trick.) What did impress Brantley was when he got a volunteer from the audience and borrowed his red tie. He took the tie and made it dance and do other things. Brantley was amazed. I wish I could have taken a camera inside just to get a picture of his face. The rest of the show was complete amazement for him. The look on his face was priceless. We all enjoyed it. My nephew even wants to go see him again, and I think I wouldn't mind seeing him again also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Uncle Matt and a childhood friend David Cartwright went to see David Copperfield a few times when probably a little older than Brantley. love pop
Post a Comment